Essays due by April 27, 2016.
3M PSD will recognize a new professional working in the United States through supporting their travel and registration fees to the 2016 American Society for Safety Engineers meeting, Safety 2016, June 26-29, 2016 Atlanta, GA, USA.
The 3M PSD Occupational Health and Safety New Professional Award (PDF 19.19 KB) recognizes a professional who is selected as the winner of a 3M PSD essay contest. Entries for the 2016 award are invited on the theme How Technology Will Impact Occupational Health and Safety.
The awardee will be chosen by a selection committee comprised of 3M occupational health and safety professionals and employees of 3M’s Personal Safety Division.
Essays will be judged on originality, innovation, clarity of message and writing style. The winner will be notified on or before May 10, 2016.
The awardee will travel to Atlanta, GA, June 26-29, 2016 for Safety 2016. 3M PSD will provide airfare, accommodations for up to four nights, and a $50.00 USD per diem per day. All travel must originate in the US.
Please direct any questions and all applications for this program to the attention of Patricia Ostrander, Occupational Health and Safety New Professionals Award Program Coordinator via email: 3MPPESafety@mmm.com.
Requirements for the contest:
1) The essay must be kept to a maximum of 1000 words in length, typed in 12-point font, with 1 in. margins, double spaced on letter-size (8.5 x 11 in.) paper; 2) any references should be cited correctly and the reference list can be in addition to the two-page document; and 3) all applicants must have been in an occupational health and safety position for five years or less. Years spent as a full-time student do not count toward these 5 years. Current students and faculty members are not eligible. Deadline: Essays are due by April 27, 2016.
Please submit to 3MPPESafety@mmm.com the following:
The deadline for the 2016 contest is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, April 27, 2016.
1. The essay must be in English and kept to a maximum of 1000 words in length, typed in 12-point font, with 1 in. margins, on letter-size (8.5 x 11 in.) paper.
2. All submissions must have a title and include a word count (word count does not apply to the list of sources.) All sources must be cited. Each submission must be original, unpublished, not submitted or accepted elsewhere for publication and not entered simultaneously in any other contest. 3. You must write on the topic provided; essays on other topics will not be accepted. Please use the topic as the title of your essay.
4. Essays will be judged by 3M. The decision will be final.
5. All applicants must be in an occupational health and safety (OHS) position as their primary occupation. Applicants must be legally working in the United States. They must have been employed in the OHS for five years or less. Years spent as a full-time student do not count toward these 5 years. Current students and faculty members are not eligible.
6. Your submission will automatically become the property of 3M and 3M may use, redistribute, and/or publicize the essay and your selection as the winner of the contest for any purpose and in any way.
7. Only applications submitted with all supporting documents will be considered. Please submit:
8. Winner will be solely responsible for all Federal, State and/or local taxes. Winner is required to provide a tax identification number, and relevant tax forms must be completed prior to travel arrangements being made.
9. All essays must be submitted through 3MPPESafety@mmm.com.